Sunday, December 30, 2018

A very literary end to 2018......

I seem to have been a bit book obsessed lately.
 
What kicked it off was a beautiful Ralph Waldo Emerson book I spotted for sale on Instagram. I missed out on the sale, but have been obsessed with finding another copy ever since. This may take awhile, but I am committed.....or should be committed...jury is still out on that.
I discovered as I searched for the Emerson book I am obsessed with acquiring, was that he had many very beautifully printed books. This one caught my eye first.
 
 
As beautiful on the outside as the essays inside.
 
This one I really fell in love with.
 
 
During Halloween, we were watching the Disney movies, The adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, The story of Mr. Toad was an excerpt from the book "The Wind in the Willows"  trying to remember the stories bugged me for a couple weeks, I decided I needed to read the book. Went to pull it off my shelf and realized....I did not have that book anymore, whoops. Yes, I could have ordered a brand new copy from Amazon and had it in two days, but no, I decided I needed to wait a month for an old copy, still in pretty good shape for 1957. And I really love it!
 
 
Then last weekend, while visiting my husbands family in Kingsport for Christmas, I got to dig around in my mother in laws old cookbooks. They are a beautiful combination of horrific concoctions, and some real gems.
 
It seems that everyone in the late 60's ate a very large amount of tinned meats and tomatoes, broccoli, "salad dressing", cream of anything soup, MSG added to almost everything and lemon jello.....yuck.  My daughter and I had a great time trying to out do each other finding the most disgusting sounding recipe.
 
Scary to report that the salad cook book appears to be the winner in the gross out category. The "salad dressing" and lemon jello put it over the top on the gross out scale.
 
But the graphics in the books are fantastic.
 




 
But I will certainly try several of the recipes!
 
So here we come to the end of another year. I have to say that overall 2018 was a pretty darn good year. And I am looking forward to what 2019 will bring!
 
Hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to a safe and happy New Year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment