Sunday, January 13, 2019

Happy 2019! And: January the month of the Hobbit.

Happy 2019! Hope you all enjoyed safe and happy holidays. I know I certainly did!
 
If you have been following my blog for any amount of time, you know that January is usually my "Month of the Hobbit". Some people jump into the new year with high energy, running to the gym for work outs, and diving into their new year resolutions with zeal. But I am happier starting the new year a bit slower. My goal in the past was to spend every weekend in January in the house. Working on projects, reading, brainstorming craft ideas, actually thinking out what resolutions I would like to make for the year, baking and cooking. But overall, relaxing. Sounds nice huh?
 
Sounds nice, but It rarely ever works out that I can actually do this...I am a Hobbit failure.
 
To be fair, I think my expectations for January are a bit unrealistic. I have two busy kids, only one of them drives so,  not really fair to expect my husband to do all the running around, and to tell the truth? I have caused myself a lot of undo stress busting my butt trying to get all of my errands run by Friday night.

But Is it really worth it?
 
For 2019 I decided, no, it is not worth it. So I am taking a more relaxed approach to the beginning of my year. Trying to limit my weekend running around, while not forcing myself to restrict it, but still making time for my January goals. T
So far, this approach is working out much better! I have had plenty of "Hobbit time" so far, but have not stressed about having to run out,
 
One thing I have not been running out to do, is the thrift shops. I just have not had that "buzz" making me want to do any Antiquing. I have not even really done much eBaying, but I did find one good buy, that turned into a heartbreak...or Jadeite break I should say.
 
Yup, the risk of eBay. Sellers that don't really care about what they are selling and do a crap job packing. I bid on two darling vintage Jadeite McKee custard cups. The seller did a very poor job packing and of course one broke. Seller of course ignored my email reporting the poor packing resulting in the break, so unless I want to fight with eBay to mediate I was just going to be out of luck.
 

 
Or am I?
 
I love these cups, and it breaks my heart that this vintage glass is lost forever...or is it?
 
The Japanese fix broken pottery with gold...why not fix jadeite with solder, since gold is not really in my budget.
 
So I pulled out the broken one and started to wrap it.
 

 
Then I went out into the garage to solder it and I realized I was out of wire. Hobbit won, I am not running out to Lowes. Amazon here I come. It will be here on Tuesday. So with any luck, I will have a mended cup to show you next week!
 
I like to think of it as a kind of stained glass inspired mending project. I am really hoping it will not look like Frankenstein's glass monster, LOL.
 
So this is my craft project for the month, and I am really excited, it is making me look more into stained glass work and back at the beautiful Pyrex charms and necklaces made from broken pottery, What about a hybrid of the two? I really enjoyed making the couple charms I made a couple years ago, what else can I do? Stained glass and vintage glass mesh project? Who knows! I (sadly) have a stash of broken vintage glass, what can I get into! I am already looking at a glass grinder...I think I have the bug!
 
So here's to January! A great month to learn, recharge and flex your creative muscles!
 
Hope you have a great week!
 

1 comment: