Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Just do it...

Remember my ugly duckling?


Well, it may not be a full fledged Swan now, but it sure looks a lot better.





I decided to just do it, just give re upholstering a try, so I did. I watched a couple tutorials read a couple blogs and just jumped in, and you know what? It was fun and not as hard as I thought it would be. Yes, it was picky and time consuming, I think I spent a total of 5 hours (or however long Gladiator and LA Confidential are back to back~I was on a Russel Crowe kick that day) tearing it down and putting it back together again. Cutting, stitching, stapleing, staining the wood, adding more padding and hammering it all back together. It is not perfect, I made a couple mistakes, but, it was an excellent learning experience and now I know that I CAN do it if I want to.

And you know what? I would totally do it again! 


Would you believe the most fun part was the part I was dreading the most? The part that scared me was that scalloped back. Yes, it was picky work, but again, I took my time, looked it over and thought of it like wrapping a very large present. I swear, it was fun! Oh, and it helps that the chair was in excellent structural condition, the fabric was rotting, but the rest of the chair was sound. I should also give a shout out to Lara Spencer, my Flea Market Flipping hero, watching her show taught me so much more than I realized. Lara, you rock.


My tacks are a bit wonky but, for a first try? I am fine with it. I covered it with a soft oatmeal color cotton drop cloth, it is very soft and snuggly and I am sure will easily show dirt in no time (yes I do plan to scotch guard it anyway) but, now I know now that I can easily change it up when I get tired of it.

So next time you are intimidated a bit by a project...just do it, if nothing else, you learn!

Now to get the pendant light hung up, it is re wired and ready to go, now just to make the final decision on just how to hang it. 

Hope you are having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment