Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Destoying history...

I love vintage. I love restoring vintage and up cycling vintage things that are damaged. But I hate destroying something vintage that is in perfectly good condition. It just kills me.
 
So when a friend of mine asked if I would make a center piece out of vintage sheet music for her son's 18th birthday party, I groaned. No way I was going to turn her down, but, my gosh...it was almost 100 years old. AH!! MY HEART!
 
It even smelled amazing, like good vintage books should. I don't know what it is about that smell, but I love it.
 
But, it is what she wanted. Her son is a very talented musician so it could not have been a more perfect choice for a party center piece.
 
So I cut it.

 
But not after doing some research and making sure I was not cutting some priceless music document. I was not, average value, 6.00.
 
 
Still, so beautiful. I saved the cover and some of the prettier pages so she could frame them.

 
Once I started working on making roses out of this beautiful paper, I got over the pain pretty quickly. The paper was old, which means it can be brittle. It was a pain in the backside to work with.
 
 
But I think it turned out pretty well.
 

 
A willow branch from my beloved tree, some hydrangeas with sheet music leaves and my favorite, the butterflies. I could have done nothing but butterflies and been totally happy. They are my favorite part of the whole arrangement. Some are all paper, three butterfly punches to make almost a 3D butterfly, and some with an aluminum punch spray painted black for the center. I was so happy with how they looked perched on the twisty willow branches.
 
And, working this project not only got me out of my creative energy slump, but it also inspired a couple more ideas like a whole branch made with fairy tale butterflies!
 
That one will be this weekends project!
 
And...one more idea...
 
"Gutterflies"
 
 
As I started work on the roses and butterflies for the nursery themed arrangement, I learned that the subject matter of the book you are using DOES matter. Ummm this is why the nursery arrangement is on hold until I get out and find a kids Fairy Tale book. But it gave me an idea to make an arrangement made with more of an....adult theme for Valentines day. Oh myyyyyyy.
 
This is gonna be fun!
 
I have been so busy at work that I totally lost track of the fact that this is Nashville Flea Market weekend! It is going to be very HOT but I think I need the Flea Market Therapy, so first thing Saturday before it gets flesh melting hot, I am going to have to make a run out!
 
Hope you are having a great week and are looking forward to an ever greater weekend!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment