Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Traditionally non traditional

I hope you had a lovely Easter! I know we had a very nice quiet day.
 
We are only semi traditional about Easter at our house, I love to do extravagant Easter baskets for the kids and the traditional Easter ham with all the trimmings for dinner, and we used to do egg hunts when the kids were younger. But, generally speaking it is a quiet holiday at our house, and a holiday that I like to use as an excuse to bring out some of my favorite vintage dishes and set a pretty table.
 
Up until last year, it was my tradition to use my husbands Grandmother Adeline's dishes for any major holiday. But last year, after seeing the beautiful table setting using Jadeite dishes and deep purple flowers in Martha Stewarts magazine from last Spring. I decided to switch it up a bit, and loved it! Loved it so much that I decided to do the same this year, except instead of doing the Jadeite with purple flowers again, I decided to use my newest set. The Honeysuckle Fire King that I purchased with my Christmas cash. Again, I loved how it turned out!
 
 
These are such pretty dishes with a lovely Spring feel to them. I decided to use the tablecloth I purchased at the Nashville Flea Market in February. I thought they would go together well, and I believe I was right!
 
Since I only have one serving platter and not a complete set of serving dishes in the Honeysuckle pattern; I mixed in some of the vintage milk glass pieces I have as well. These milk glass dishes were a gift from a good friend, they were her Grandmothers and that always makes things extra special to me. Here are a couple of them, all are in mint condition.
 

 
I also forgot all about this darling bunny and mushroom I had stashed back with some of my vintage dishes. This kind of thing is happening to me far too often lately. I am formulating a plan to better organize my vintage dishware where it is both safe from breakage and where I can easily see it. A good project for this fall I think!
 
 
Both were Hobby Lobby finds from several years ago, I think they are so cute so they will have to become part of our Easter table from now on.
 
 
And flowers of course. I have been drawn to lilies lately. Coming home to that lovely scent in the air is just wonderful!
 
 
As if we did not have enough sweets in the house on Sunday, I was asked to make a Pavlova for dessert. I just made a small one instead of the full recipe.  My kids love Pavlova, I have been making it since my son was a toddler and it is a family favorite. Actually, I have yet to meet anyone that does not like this dessert when they try it. It is as delicious as it is beautiful!
 
 
I have been keeping very busy again this week, hammering and knocking out a few more small projects inside the house. Next I will dive into doing some minor landscaping, cleaning up in the yard and gardening. I am really missing spending my weekend mornings sitting on my pallet couch under the willow tree with my snorty Pug, drinking Chai tea. I can't wait to get it all cleaned up and the kitchen herbs planted now that the weather is getting warmer.
 
Hope you are having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment