Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Vanilla

If you are ever on Pinterest, even if it is only once in a while, you have probably seen the pins about making your own vanilla extract. I am a huge vanilla addict, recipe calls for one teaspoon? I add a tablespoon. Whole vanilla beans? Yup, I buy them, and I use them. Pavlova, homemade whipped cream, homemade ice cream, vanilla pudding, custards, every excuse I can find. And after you scrape that heavenly vanilla caviar out of the pods? Right into my tub of sugar, oh the smell of vanilla sugar. Drool.
 
Now, fresh vanilla beans are not cheap. Look in the grocery store and you can find two nasty desiccated beans in a jar for six bucks, gourmet shop? Ummm, leave your first born as a deposit. No thank you. But, I have been really lucky finding them on Ebay of all places. Good prices and I have yet to get a bad batch. Of course, being a vanilla addict, all of the "make your own vanilla" pins caught my eye. Never one to shy away from a Pinterest project I gave it a try.
 
The most common "base" is good vodka, but people also suggested bourbon. Both sounded good, so I made some of each.
 

The bigger jar is your "standard" mix with vodka. And the smaller one is good old Gentleman Jack bourbon. I cannot wait to see how they both turn out.
 
 
Two weeks down....two and a half more months to go. Good thing I am patient.
 
well sort of patient, I cannot wait until these darn peonies bloom!
 
 
hope you are having a great week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment